Saturday, November 20, 2010

Ham & Cheese Muffins


The other night I decided it was time for the first batch of Bean Soup. This is a recipe I created years ago, that has become a winter staple around here. I usually make cornbread to go along with it, but I had been flipping through cookbooks, and ran across this recipe. I decided to branch out and try these with the soup. I think they are a nice alternative. They would also go well with beans and rice or even a big salad. Enjoy! 

1 cup cornmeal (I prefer yellow)
1 cup unbleached flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon baking powder
2 large eggs
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 cup milk (I used fat free)
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard (I used Grey Poupon Country French)
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated (I used the Mexican blend)
1/2 cup shredded ham (I used Boar's Head Black Forest Ham -- about 4 oz. run through the food processor)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease muffin tins. Mix dry ingredients. In another bowl, mix wet ingredients including cheese. Combine dry and wet until just moistened. Fold in ham. Fill muffin tins 2/3rds full. Bake for 15-20 minutes. 12-18 muffins.

The original recipe said 10-12 muffins and to bake for 20 minutes. I got 18 muffins, and I think they should have baked more like 15-18 minutes, but it probably depends on your oven.

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment