Monday, November 29, 2010

Melanie's Bean Soup

A little while ago I mentioned in a post that I had recently made my first batch of Bean Soup for the fall. I had intended to post the recipe shortly thereafter, but suddenly it's past Thanksgiving and I still haven't posted it! So without further ado here is the recipe.

2 cups dry beans, soaked overnight or quick soaked (I use a blend of 5 or 6 of my favorite beans; you can also buy bean soup mix on the bean/rice aisle in the grocery -- just throw out the seasoning packet!)
2 quarts broth (I usually use chicken or vegetable, but you could use water and bouillon cubes in a pinch!)
1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons dried onion OR 1/3 cup chopped onion sauteed in a little oil or butter
8-10 oz. ham, chopped or shredded (this can be leftovers, canned ham or deli ham)

Drain beans from overnight soak. Place all ingredients in dutch oven or slow cooker. If using a dutch oven, bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for at least 2 hours. Check periodically to make sure the liquid level is good. Add water or broth if needed. Check bean tenderness to make sure soup is ready.

If using a slow cooker, follow manufacturers instructions. In my 6-qt. slow cooker I usually set it on low and let it cook all day (8-5).

Garnish with cheese and serve with cornbread or muffins.

Serves 6-8 the way we eat it. You might get more or less depending on how much people like it!

Happy Eating!

2 comments:

  1. Hello to you too, Melanie ~ My grandpa used to call me Mellie =)

    ~m

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pot of beans is a staple around here. Last night we had pinto beans for dinner with meatloaf and creamed corn. I'll definitely have to give your version a try ... thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete