Friday, May 6, 2011

Cinco de Mayo Tennessee Style

In honor of Cinco de Mayo and the fact that is was 39 degrees here yesterday morning, I made Mexican Chicken Soup for dinner. Well actually I made Mexican Ham Soup, because I was out of chicken. And I used a Knorr's Mexican Rice mix instead of instant rice because I don't keep instant rice on hand. I meant to cook the rice earlier in the day, but I forgot. So when dinner time rolled around I was pretty happy to find the Knorr's mix in my pantry. I think I like my mixed up version quite well!


5 cups chicken broth (I use Swanson's organic)
10 oz. chopped ham (I used 2 5-oz cans of Hormel ham)
1 pkg. Knorr's Mexican rice mix
2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 1/2 cups salsa (I use Publix Greenwise Mild)
1 can black beans, undrained
2 cups frozen corn
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)


Bring broth and salsa to boil. Add remaining ingredients; cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes.
Serves 6.


I served this with tortilla chips. A salad would have been nice, but that didn't happen!


The original version called for 9 oz. chicken breast; 1 cup uncooked instant rice; 1 cup black beans. I can't see opening a can of black beans and not using them all!


By the way, did you know Americans celebrate Cinco de Mayo more than Mexicans do?


Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment