Sunday, June 27, 2010

More from The Perfect Dinner

Today's recipe is a continuation of the menu from Friday night's dinner. One of my favorite sides with pork is Cheesy Garlic Grits. I'll admit to being raised in the South with a deep affection for grits in almost any form, but if you've never tried grits this is the best introduction you'll ever get. The original recipe called for a tube of Kraft Garlic Cheese Spread, which is no longer available. I've done a little tweaking, and I think I've got it about right now. Depending on the grits you use, the cooking time may have to be extended. I like stone ground white grits, even though the original recipe called for quick grits.

Cheesy Garlic Grits
3 1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons diced garlic
1 1/3 cups grits
1 stick butter
8 oz. shredded jack/colby blend cheese
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 eggs
milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13 x 9 inch casserole with organic cooking spray. Cook grits in water with salt and diced garlic until tender and water is absorbed (my bag says 28 minutes). Slice butter into pats. Beat eggs in a measuring cup and add enough milk to equal 1 cup of liquid. Blend all ingredients together until butter and cheese are melted and eggs are fully incorporated. Pour into casserole and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes.  Serves 4-8 depending on how much you like grits and whether or not you want leftovers for breakfast!

Happy eating!

2 comments:

  1. Look who/what I just found here! Unfortunately there is so much I can eat because it doesn't agree with my Crohn's. I won't go into that.

    But isn't it wonderful that you love to cook? Bill is a picky eater so I gave up long ago. My kids were too, but they've improved 1000% since they've left home, now eating all the things they wouldn't eat then. But I'm glad - they'll lead much more nutritious lives.

    Have you ever had spoon bread?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to make spoon bread fairly often, especially in the winter. Haven't made any in a long time.

    ReplyDelete