Monday, March 21, 2011

Shrimp and Sausage Skewers with Stewed Tomatoes and Zucchini

Yes it's been a while. Things have been hectic. Dd and I recently returned from a week long stay at Tennessee Fitness Spa, so we are focusing on healthier foods. I have had this recipe in my stash for a while now. Dd ran across and thought we should give it a try. Of course I had to tweak it a little, but I think we will definitely be having this one again!



Here's my version:

1 lb. turkey kielbasa
24 medium peeled/deveined shrimp
1 tsp. liquid smoke
1/2 cup apple jelly
2 Tbl. brown sugar
1 lb. fresh zucchini
1 cup water
28 oz. fancy sliced Italian style stewed tomatoes

hot pepper sauce
6 (12-in.) bamboo skewers

Preheat grill. Cut sausage into 1/2-inch thick slices (24). Thread 4 shrimp and 4 sausage slices, alternating, on the skewer. Repeat on all skewers. Combine liquid smoke, jelly and brown sugar in microwave safe container and heat for 2 minutes on high, stirring once at 1 minute. Spray both sides of skewers with cooking spray (I like Pam Organic Canola Oil Spray). Place skewers on grill. Cook 2-3 minutes on first side; flip and brush jelly mixture on first cooked side. Cook 2-3 minutes on second side; flip and brush jelly mixture on this side. Flip on more time and remove from grill once shrimp are pink. Serves 6.

For Stewed Tomatoes and Zucchini:

Slice zucchini into 1/2 inch slices. Mix all ingredients in medium saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil; reduce to heat to medium low and simmer 10 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Serves 6.

Here's the original recipe. I used turkey kielbasa to lower the fat (and because I like it better) and zucchini, since I only like okra that's been fried!

Check out this website if you haven't. Lots of good recipes with shopping list attached!  Publix Apron's Simple Meals

Happy Eating!





No comments:

Post a Comment